Monday, December 5, 2016

Design Collaboration Artifacts - Billboards/Twitter


For our re-design of the National Film Registry, I chose to create billboards.  I thought that these would be great artifacts for the design because it would bring attention to this important registry of classic films.  My original design was to have a film reel with screenshots from classic movies in it with the slogan and the name of the organization, but the design didn't work at all.  It was too busy and it just got messy.  I feel that the above design works so much better because it's cleaner, it obeys the rule of thirds and it draws attention to the NFR without being too much. I think that the negative space on the top and bottom of the display really makes it stand out, and it sticks to the color scheme nicely. This billboard is for highways and larger displays.


This smaller billboard is for things like subway tunnels and inner-city advertisements.  It's got less contrast, but it still works with the rule of thirds and has contrast between the text and background elements as well as the contrast within the film reel's color scheme.  I also think that the font that we chose, Playfair, adds a classic feel to the ads as well.  


This last billboard I designed for things like bus stations.  It shows high contrast with the black background with red and white for the letters and shapes makes things really stand out.  This also obeys the rule of thirds in the top, middle and bottom with an important item in each range.  While my designs for these ads aren't full of leading lines or diagonals, I think that their simplicity makes them work better than a complex design would.

The final "artifact" that I did for this project is creating a twitter account for our "company".  The thing I've been doing with this is putting up trivia questions about some of the films in the registry to promote interest and enthusiasm.  I don't know about you but I love trivia, so I thought this would be a fun way to promote the NFR.  Our handle is @film-registry.


No comments:

Post a Comment