Monday, August 29, 2016

My Visceral Response






Shortly before my grandmother died two years ago, my family made the long journey from Las Vegas to Newfoundland, Canada to go and visit her in the hospice where she was being kept comfortable until her time came to pass on.  I'd never been to Newfoundland before, and I was struck to the core with how absolutely stunning it was there, and how different it was from the large city I was so used to.  My aunt Pam and uncle Paul, who are very good friends with a man who runs a whale watching tour, got us a spot on a tour one day and off we went.  It was freezing, -10 on the water even in June!  While freezing my butt off and watching for the gorgeous Humpback whales (which we never actually caught a glimpse of), I happen to glance over and see this beautiful iceburg.  I immediately took out my phone and snapped a picture because, for whatever reason, this was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen in my life.  As I took the picture, I actually felt people staring at me as if I had gone crazy, but I didn't care.  I just new that I needed to take that picture.  

There are very few things in my life that have ever given me that type of response.  Even my friends will tell you that I'm not one for pictures, I don't take selfies, I don't snapchat, and I generally don't just whip out my phone to take pictures of random things just because I can.  But this was one of those things that was so utterly beautiful that I felt the need to preserve it.  For me, this is one of the pictures that will probably remind me forever of my grandmother and the place that my father grew up and its beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment