Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Contrast, Balance and Harmony



This picture was something I found a long time ago - I think on Facebook or Tumblr.  I was immediately struck with how gorgeous this small piece of scenery was, and how much it reminded the of home.  What reminded me of Maine the most was the colors. The green of the trees, the blue of the water, the mountains covered with snow, even the sky being cloudy and gray.

I love the subtle contrast between the shoreline and the trees, and the sharp contrast between the trees and the mountains.  There's even a contrast between the gray of the mountains and the clouds in the sky, and all of this contrast, subtle or otherwise, makes this photo beautiful.

I also really like seeing the different textures here.  The mountains, rigid and jagged, and the trees with their many branches and points jutting up into view in front of the mountains and the water with its rippling surface...all of this somehow creates not just contrast, but they balance each other out with light and dark and make this a very harmonious picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment